Super Bowl LVI is going to be here before you know it! Whether you’re a diehard football fan or just watching for the halftime show, there’s one thing everyone can agree on: having lip-smacking-good food is a must. The Splash Café team is here to help make sure your spread for The Big Game scores big on flavor and ease.
Our starting lineup includes two easy and delicious recipes featuring Splash Café’s Smoky Chimi and Smoky Citrus spices rubs. Both are available online in a 6 pack along with our Smoky Espresso spice blend.
Smoky Chimi combines sweet basil with savory parsley, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic and citrus to make chicken, steaks, pork, and veggies really stand out. Like its name suggests, Smoky Citrus is citrus-forward with bright lemon, rich smoked paprika, dill and garlic. It’s perfect for seafood, chicken, lamb, and veggies.
5 to 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (Pro tip: try roasting it skin-on with the fresh tomatoes and lemon to make it extra juicy and delicious.)
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
8 to 10 cloves garlic
2 slices bacon (optional)
1.Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place chicken thighs on a sheet pan and season generously with Smoky Chimi spice rub.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, rolling the chicken around so the thighs are covered with seasoned oil. Make sure to leave the thighs skin side up on the pan sheet.
4. Slice one lemon (including peel) into thin slices and place it between the chicken thighs on the sheet pan.
5. Cut all tomatoes in half and sprinkle them around the thighs (not on the thighs). It’s OK if they land on top of the lemons.
6. Peel and smash the garlic and sprinkle it around the thighs as well.
7. Cut the second lemon in half and squeeze juice over everything
8. Sprinkle more Smoky Chimi spice rub and drizzle more olive oil over everything on the sheet pan.
9. If using bacon, dice and sprinkle over tomato mixture.
10. Place the sheet pan on the center rack of your preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, stir the tomato mixture without disturbing the chicken.
Poblano chilis (1 to 2 per person)
16 to 20 Extra large shrimp (1 to 2 per chili, depending on size)
Queso fresco cheese (jack or cheddar works as well)
Corn tortillas, (1 for every 2 to 4 chilis)
Aluminum foil cut into 6” to 8” strips, depending on size of chilis
Carrot Pepper Hot Sauce (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
1.Heat your barbecue grill to high.
2. Defrost the shrimp, then remove any shells.
3. Season shrimp with Smoky Citrus seasoning.
4. Roast chilis over the grill or under a broiler until charred. Allow them to rest and then peel off charred skin.
5. Slit the chilis open carefully and rinse out seeds and membrane
6. Cut tortillas into quarters.
7. Place a piece of aluminum foil on a clean work surface and lay a chili on top of the foil.
8. Carefully place 1 to 2 pieces of tortilla inside the chili cavity.
9. Then place 1 to 2 shrimp on top of the tortilla.
10. Spoon salsa into the chili cavity and top with a generous amount of cheese. If you’re using queso fresco, break up but still use plenty. If using jack or cheddar cheese, cut a thin rectangle of cheese.
11. Bring the sides of the chili together so all the ingredients are inside. Then bring the edges of the foil together, forming a tent around the chili, and seal completely. This should be loose fitting but still sealed. Repeat for each chili.
12. Place the foil packets on the grill and roast until shrimp is cooked and cheese melted, about 10 minutes.
13. Carefully open the foil packets and place on plates or a platter. Serve with sour cream and Carrot Pepper Hot Sauce
Not a fan of seafood? It’s all good! You can still ’cue it up with our Smoky Espresso Pork Shoulder recipe, ideal for tacos or nachos. All of these smoky, savory dishes go great with all kinds of sides, from tots or chips to a simple green salad. They also pair well with your favorite beers, a Super Bowl staple for all football fans. Splash Café sells local favorites like Firestone 805. Whichever you choose, make sure to have lots of Carrot Pepper Hot Sauce on hand for an extra tasty kick.
Don’t want to cook? No sweat! Order a mouthwatering family platter of Splash Café’s award-winning Clam Chowder and your choice of freshly baked cinnamon bread pudding or decadent brownie swirl. Another option is our Cozy GIANT Bread Bowl + Clam Chowder Gift Pack, the perfect belated holiday present for the whole family! The shining star of both is our famous Clam Chowder, made with only pure California Cream and three types of clams, as well as fresh celery, potatoes, and other veggies.
Get your game on with Splash Café this Super Bowl! Order online from either of our two Central Coast locations or have your Clam Chowder shipped nationwide with Goldbelly®.
The holidays are fast approaching! It’s a special time to focus on the things we’re thankful for, like food, friends, and family. We’re thankful for our Splash Café Family!Read more
Autumn is finally here, which means soup season is upon us! Now is the time to put on your favorite cozy sweater and enjoy the fresh bounty of fun activities the Central Coast has to offer.Read more
Imagine this: It’s getting close to mealtime and your stomach is growling, “FEED ME!” You head to one of our Splash Café locations—Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo— because you know it’s guaranteed…Read more
The season may be coming to a close, but we’re keeping that Hot Summer mindset with us all year long! Here are some easy hacks for living your best life year-round from Splash Café, Talley Farms, and @DishingItWithAmanda.Read more
Straight from the beach, our Beach BBQ Blend Spice Rubs are the perfect addition to any dish. From Smoky Espresso to Smoky Citrus and Smoky Chimi, this trio is guaranteed to make your mouth water and…Read more
It’s finally here—Spring Commencement! After years of classes, studying, and projects, you’re ready to walk to the podium and do the darn thing. Celebrate this important milestone by spending A Grad’s Perfect Day with Splash Café exploring the streets of SLO with your besties one last time.Read more
Splash Café’s full-service bakery in San Luis Obispo is a flavor-packed powerhouse offering a wide range of delicious creations from cupcakes and cookies to dessert bars, special occasion cakes, and more.Read more
There’s plenty of sun and fun to be had on the Central Coast. This Perfect Day with Splash Café and Vespera Resort has been stretched from 24 hours to an entire weekend to make room for all the good vibes, good food, and outdoor adventure!Read more
Steaming bread bowls of Clam Chowder for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The enticing scent of freshly baked bread and desserts. Employee discounts. These are just some of the perks of being a server at Splash Café…Read more